Burgers and Apps
The Bunker Project is a great place to hang out, drink beer and talk tech. But where are the Burgers? Find out in this weeks episode of The Bunker Project… Favourite Apps, Spying Mannequins, 3D printer vending machines and much more…
Listen to the show and join us next time via Google Plus hangout or call 1-877-636-1474 and leave a message for the show.
Bunker Project Episode 115: Burgers and Apps
Mavens in the House:
Andrew McGivern @podcasthero on twitter & @andrewmcgivern on app.net
Bob Garlick @bobgarlick
Bonnie Sainsbury @bsainsbury
Randal Orser @numbercrunchers
Margaret Reynolds @bc_insurancegal
Paul from Australia (England actually)
Astrid Listner @astridlistner
Ken MacGrath @kenmacgrath
Al is in the house
Paul the Rock God @paultherockgod
Show 115 – Burgers and Apps
The Round Table Intros…
- Bob started off the show with a big burp and is thinking of creating a new Wix website all about burps… it will be awesome!
- Everybody tells us their favourite app in the Round Table…
- Ken has an interesting app pick this week… Nova Launcher. Changes the GUI…
- Andrew has the Square App which just launched in Canada. He has a little card swiper that plugs into the headset jack of your smartphone and your good to go. Just charge it!
- Bob’s app pick is Auto Wifi On/Off. Great for saving battery life. Ken suggests Power Toggles.
- Paul doesn’t use apps but his pick is texting.
- Randall likes Vegas Pool.
- Margaret uses the Llama app which allows you to geofence your alerts and customizes when your phone will use audible alerts and when it will be silent.
- She also likes the receipt scanner app that keeps track of all her receipts.
- Astrid’s favourite app is a Chinese learning game which teaches you the characters and symbols. Makes language learning fun.
- Andrew suggests Michel Thomas for learning languages
- Al’s app is a power management tool (Data Enabler) which allows a one-touch data on-off switch and he also loves Swype. The Guinness record for text speed was broken with Swype.
- Craig’s daughter comes on the show for a couple minutes.
- Craig loves the Evernote app and PocketCasts.
- Bob started using Zite on Andrews recommendation. Just feed in your RSS reader and Twitter feed and as you get the content you give it a thumb up or thumb down and it gives you more relevant content over time.
- Bob has a good tip on how to highlight some text and add it to Buffer.
- Craig likes Flipboard as well… is it a chrome extension as well? Nope.
Onto the show notes…
- Bob is ticked off… He wants the Nexus 4 but it sold out right away as did the Nexus 10. Nexus 7 is available finally. Bob is stoked to get the new phone…. but alas patience is a virtue.
- 3D Printer Vending machine turns students ideas into reality… looks cool. Bob says the only thing it can’t make is another 3D printing machine. Bob talks about the 3D printed bike.
- Bob talks about this play dough like substance that can be sculpted into anything and it hardens into a silicon form…
- Spy Mannequins: EyeSee Mannequins in high-end retail stores can watch you and capture customer data as people walk into their stores. It logs the age, gender, and race of store visitors. In the near future… facial recognition software tied to public social network information will identify customers. Creepy or not?
- An app that aggregates your restaurant dining information would be able to help you find great new places to try out.
- Bob wonders whether suicide (by eating junk food) is covered by insurance.
- No more Twinkies… everyone thinks Twinkies will not be going anywhere. The brand is worth two much to disappear with Hostess. Someone will save the Twinkie.
- Paul The Rock God had a Big Mac after ten years… and loved it. Andrew says forget the Big Mac… go to Raglans and get the republican burger. Check out the pic…
- And a big shout out to ACE Burgers… good quality burgers… Mmmmm. Burgoo is great as well and this cool diner in North Vancouver.
- And more burger talk… listen to all the suggestions for local burger joints.
- Wix.com is easy to use and kicks butt… make a site using Wix this week!
Check us out on Facebook for comments and fun photos from the shows.
Check out @BunkerLive for tweets and upcoming show topics. If you want to make a comment or suggest a topic let us know.
If you like the show subscribe by clicking a button.
Please rate our show in iTunes – Every five-star rating helps increase the exposure of the show. Also if you like the show please leave a comment or ask a question below, on iTunes or at our Meetup.com page!
About The Bunker Project
The underground Bunker Project is a meetup focused on Social Media, Internet Marketing, New Media, and Podcasting. Set in the Bunker at the Barklay Hotel on Robson St. in Vancouver, The Bunker Project will appeal to those looking for cutting-edge social marketing and new media information and to those who just want to socialize over a beer and exchange thoughts and ideas about social media.
Members will have the opportunity to participate in the Bunker Project Podcast which is recorded live at every meetup.
Hope to see you soon at The Bunker!
Andrew McGivern & Bob Garlick