Facebook Gift Horse
WARNING: this episode of the Bunker Project is even more explicit than our normal Bunker Project explicit episodes. Viewer (and listener) discretion is advised.
The Bunker Project is recorded with a live interactive studio audience. Join us for a show in person in downtown Vancouver or via Google + Hangout. Or watch live on Hangouts On Air.
Bunker Project Episode 116:
Mavens in the House:
Andrew McGivern @podcasthero on twitter
Bob Garlick @bobgarlick
Bonnie Sainsbury @bsainsbury
Randal Orser @numbercrunchers
Margaret Reynolds @bc_insurancegal
Paul from Australia (England actually)
Astrid Listner @astridlistner
Ken MacGrath @kenmacgrath
John from fetlife.com
Show 116 – Facebook Gift Horse – What?
The Round Table Intros…
- We started the show and the SD Card on the Digital Recorder had failed without Andrew noticing – had to do the Round Table intros over again. Check out the Youtube video to see the entire show including the bonus lost content.
- Crazy talk at the beginning of the show.
- Marcel is happy because someone from the Survivor show is following him on Twitter and he is teaching himself how to podcast with tips from Bob and Andrew.
- The German Maven is here again this week… someone in Germany told her that the internet is just hype and social media and the internet will disappear in a few years.
- The guy in the hat hates us according to Marcel…
- It is a good thing we are labeled explicit… this episode goes off the charts.
- Craig is drinking vodka and blood orange in a pint glass…
- Ken has a new microphone – An NBHO. A condenser hyper card stick mic from the old days when he used to do location sound.
Onto the show notes…
- Facebook Edgerank algorithm – less reach is a good thing? John and Bob agree.
- Marcel talks about his friend who hates Twitter and loves facebook because more people like facebook pages than follow Twitter accounts. Discussion ensues.
- Bob says it all comes back to creating great content.
- Bonnie and Margaret say practice social media foreplay and don’t cross post. John agrees with sm foreplay but not the no cross posting. Bonnie explains how the different platforms need to be treated differently due to different length and pictures, etc.
- Is anybody on Google +? We answer the question… Not necessarily people you know (friends and family) but a lot of people connecting over niche topics.
- Time management – Can’t do all the platforms well… Pick one or two to focus on.
- Marcel says don’t worry about all your info being all over the internet.
- Craig brought up last week’s show when we talked about how cool it would be if an app could gather all our restaurant info and suggest new places tailored to your tastes… and this week we are paranoid about data on the internet.
- Washington State legalized pot before BC because everyone in BC was too stoned to get the act together.
- More pot talk…
- Facebook Gifts: Sanj may be happy to hear about facebook gifts. Maybe he’ll get his money from his stock if the facebook gifts take off.
- John says facebook gifts will fail… Bob and Ken said the next generation will adopt gifts on facebook. The purchase of physical products from right within facebook is convenient. Paul says they are perfectly placed to be the biggest Wedding registry in the world.
- Old people are totally into facebook and ancestory.com
- Facebook taking over the internet… Disney taking over entertainment. Mainstream media will be Disney Media and that is it. And facebook will be selling Mickey Mouse.
- Andrew says Facebooks biggest weakness is facebook doesn’t have everyone’s credit card like Amazon and Apple and to a lesser extent Google.
- The Onion Parody of Social Media Experts.
Gaming with James
- Bob starts off the show as the fake James… and the real James showed up in the middle of Bobs impersonation.
- Marcel asks about his favourite game – snakes and ladders.
- Call of Duty, Black Ops – doesn’t work on Telus for some reason.
- Call of Duty shattered all sales records! An amazing game according to James.
- The World Record in the longest game session was broken on Black Ops… 135 hours continuous play.
- Angry Birds Star Wars continues to dominate but they are cheating.
- The new Wii is targeting the second screen. James wants a bigger Wii?
- Shout out to Craig Griffiths for having James on the Ask Find Buy show.
- Wix.com is easy to use and kicks butt… make a site using Wix this week!
Check us out on Facebook for comments and fun photos from the shows.
Check out @BunkerLive for tweets and upcoming show topics. If you want to make a comment or suggest a topic let us know.
If you like the show subscribe by clicking a button.
Please rate our show in iTunes – Every five-star rating helps increase the exposure of the show. Also if you like the show please leave a comment or ask a question below, on iTunes or at our Meetup.com page!
About The Bunker Project
The underground Bunker Project is a meetup focused on Social Media, Internet Marketing, New Media, and Podcasting. Set in the Bunker at the Barklay Hotel on Robson St. in Vancouver, The Bunker Project will appeal to those looking for cutting edge social marketing and new media information and to those who just want to socialize over a beer and exchange thoughts and ideas about social media.
Members will have the opportunity to participate in the Bunker Project Podcast which is recorded live at every meetup.
Hope to see you soon at The Bunker!
Andrew McGivern & Bob Garlick