Google Reader Gone and The Perfect Tweet
The Bunker Project is recorded with a live interactive studio audience. Join us for a show in person in downtown Vancouver or via Google + Hangout. Or watch live on Hangouts On Air.
Bunker Project Episode 131:
Show 131 – Nice Tweets!
Round Table Intros:
Bonnie Sainsbury @bsainsbury (joined us at the end of the show)
Margaret Reynolds @bc_insurancegal
Andrew McGivern @podcasthero
Bob Garlick @bobgarlick (Made it for the end of the show)
Nozi Paul @nozipaul
James Karg @twisted_majic
The Norm Maven ( via voicemail feedback )
The Daddy Maven recorded a covert video:
Round Table Intro Question: Name, Twitter Handle and how dependent are you on Google Products?
- Andrew said he’d be screwed if he lost his Google account
- Margaret isn’t too dependent on Google products
- Randall said if it is your business you should be using your own domain’s email
- Sanj isn’t too dependent on Google but many of his clients are. He is taking Google + more seriously now.
- Margaret brings up how great hangouts on air are for instantly loading to Youtube.
- Ricky, the Daddy Blogger loves Youtube and other Google products like Google + Hangouts. He has a Meetup Group… YVRdads.com. 30 to 40 Dads show up to his Meetup.
- Paul relies on Google way too much. Uses Google search engine and Youtube to learn Chinese at the moment.
eMail and Voicemail Feedback
Craig from down under emailed to let us know about Pheed and its cool features, Posterous is going bye bye and is this a sign of “the thinning of the heard”? Stitcher integration in cars and facebook check in buttons on the steering wheel?
Paul the Rock God leaves voicemail feedback on our VM Hotline at 1-877-636-1474.
He lets us know how great a time he is having down in Mexico and isn’t spending too much time in the bathroom. Margaret said Paul has to bring gifts back to the Bunker when he returns after a month in the sun.
The Perfect Tweet
Bob shared “The Blueprint of the Perfect Tweet” below and we analyze it on The Bunker Show.
- Put a call to action in square brackets? [blog]. We all agree this is silly… don’t like this one. Is this necessary? [retweet]. The brackets waste two characters.
- Message section shouldn’t include text speech. Only abbreviations should be numbers instead of spelling the number. Margaret agrees.
- Use Bitly URLs because they get more clicks… interesting.
- Fill in the blank tweets get a lot more engagement? Apparently, it is true.
Should use one to two hashtags to get more reach outside of followers. Most of us don’t do it except at events… but apparently, it works. People search or follow hashtags.
- Use @ replies to call out authors. Margaret doesn’t like @reply thank you’s. If you want to thank her, retweet one of her tweets instead.
- Auto thank you’s suck – we all agree.
- Don’t use all 140 characters… leave space for others to add their twitter handle and comment.
- Paul asks is there more to the perfect Tweet. This infographic is all about the structure… but there is also timing and your reputation on Twitter.
- Randall says to use your own voice in your Tweets. Paul said if you’re a rambler you won’t have your voice on Twitter because you have to be concise.
150 000 Google users woke up to a nightmare – All their email attachments and chat logs were gone…
- This is why Sanj has always been worried about the cloud.
- Randall remembers that Shaw had the same problem.
- Margaret said if this your business you need to make sure your information is backed up.
- Gmail Backup will back up your Gmail account – MAC, PC or Linux.
Google Reader is going away…
- Netvibes or Feedly are good substitutes.
- Some say this is another sign that Google Feedburner is going to be shut down soon too.
Margaret suggests Nimble… a cool app that allows you to aggregate all your contacts, calendars, and social interactions. It functions as a CRM and kicks butt according to Margaret. She was able to build a profile with only someone’s name.
Sanj was using Microsoft Dynamics and is trying out Sugar CRM.
Andrew mentions Highrise which is simple and easy to use. Andrew likes Rapportive which brings in Social Data on people within Gmail.
Bob and Marcel arrive at The Bunker… came back from The Game of Thrones pre-screening.
They got to watch the show 12 days before everybody else. They got DVD and Game Of Thrones Beer! Bob says that the season opener is mainly just a reintroduction of the characters. It did a good job reintroducing the characters and why we care about them but they didn’t do anything crazy.
Marcel gives his review of the premiere… He isn’t the biggest fan of the show. He thought that the premiere was reasonably ok.
Andrew brings the show back from Crazy TV Talk to the Bunker Project.
Bonnie arrived at the end of the show…
Bonnie trashes the perfect Tweet. She said it is a bunch of BS. Bonnie said there is no such thing as a perfect Tweet. It is all about content, your mindset, and your message.
Bob says it is good for the beginner just starting out.
Call Toll Free 1-877-636-1474 and join the conversation on the show….
Wix.com is easy to use and kicks butt… make a site using Wix this week!
Check us out on Facebook for comments and fun photos from the shows.
Check out @BunkerLive for tweets and upcoming show topics. If you want to make a comment or suggest a topic let us know.
Thanks again to Wix.com for sponsoring The Bunker Project. Wix.com is the most popular website builder in the world.
If you like the show subscribe by clicking a button.
Please rate our show in iTunes – Every five-star rating helps increase the exposure of the show. Also if you like the show please leave a comment or ask a question below, on iTunes or at our Meetup.com page!
About The Bunker Project
The underground Bunker Project is a meetup focused on Social Media, Internet Marketing, New Media, and Podcasting. Set in the Bunker at the Barklay Hotel on Robson St. in Vancouver, The Bunker Project will appeal to those looking for cutting edge social marketing and new media information and to those who just want to socialize over a beer and exchange thoughts and ideas about social media.
Members will have the opportunity to participate in the Bunker Project Podcast which is recorded live at every meetup.
Hope to see you soon at The Bunker!
Andrew McGivern & Bob Garlick
Leave a Reply