Podcast Patent & Podcasting 123
The Bunker Project is recorded with a live interactive studio audience. Join us for a show in person in downtown Vancouver or via Google + Hangout. Or watch live on Hangouts On Air.
Bunker Project Episode 123:
This week we are talking about podcasting, the podcast patent, and Scott Paton (the professor of podology) joins us for the show… Scott introduced Andrew to podcasting 5 years ago at his podcasting bootcamp.
Mavens in the House:
Andrew McGivern @podcasthero
Bob Garlick @bobgarlick
Sanj Sukekar @genesysdesign
Margaret Reynolds @bc_insurancegal
Marcel Lapointe @crazytvtalk – via Bob’s speakerphone.
Bonnie Sainsbury @bsainsbury
Randal Orser @numbercrunchers
Ken MacGrath @kenamcg
Paul the Rock God @paultherockgod
Adam Stanger @ parts unkown
James Karg @twisted_majic
Show 123 – Podcast Patent Troll and Podcasting 123
- Scott says you need to know more than just the technical side of podcasting. You should know blogging, Youtube, internet marketing and social media marketing.
- Roundtable intros: Name, Twitter and if you have a podcast, starting a podcast, participate in a podcast or web show.
- Paul (nozipaul) doesn’t have a podcast but is thinking about it.
- Randal is thinking about starting a podcast this year.
- Bonnie is the Co-Host with Margaret of Women Talking Tech
- Margaret has a show called To Finance and Protect and of Course Women Talking Tech
- Paul the Rock God thinks he should do a Karaoke podcast
- James doesn’t have a podcast yet but participates in The Craft Beer Network, Crazy TV Talk. James may start a standalone podcast – Gaming with James.
- The beer we drink at the Bunker Show is Brewmaster Black – we digress about the wonderful black beer we all love.
- Scott has done 30 to 40 podcasts in the past. Not all of them are currently active. His Weight Loss and The Mind show had over 300 000 subscribers.
- Ken has produced tons of podcasts and radio programs. He has a new show coming out very soon.
- Bob is willing to sell his online presence for a hefty fee but Andrew says he patented Bob Garlick and is now going to sue Bob for unauthorized use of the term Bob Garlick…
- Volomedia was granted a patent on podcasting a couple years ago.
- Apple was granted a patent for podcasting.
- And now Personal Audio LLC has been granted a patent on podcasting.
- Personal Audio LLC sued Apple over a separate hardware patent covering playlists. Apple lost the lawsuit and paid 8 Million dollars plus 4 Million dollars interest.
- Andrew gives us his prediction about what he thinks they will do with the patent. Free license for hobbyists and businesses pay.
- Bonnie said after all these years should they have a patent if they didn’t enforce it? Andrew agrees but none of are lawyers.
- Ken asks if the technology can be reworked to get around the patent.
- Ken asks if there is a legal defense fund we can donate to… great segue to Leo Laporte and Adam Carolla’s plan for a Kickstarter-style campaign to get a legal defense fund to stop these guys.
- We play Leo Laporte’s initial public reaction to the lawsuit against big name podcasters. Leo went on Adam Carolla’s show and Adam suggested a legal defense fund organized as a Crowd Sourced Kickstarter-style legal fund.
- James said code can be patented or copyrighted but game mechanics can not.
- Andrew brings up how pharmaceuticals get around not being able to patent natural molecules by modifying the molecule and patenting that… then petition the regulators to ban the natural product because it now contains a drug… insanity!
- Digression about dotless domains.
- Guerrilla Podcasting vs Studio Podcasting Scott explains what Guerrilla Podcasting is all about. Out in the field with a digital recorder doing interviews and capturing the ambiance of the environment.
- James brings up Bob and his Black Opp Podcasting techniques at a Social Media conference.
- Andrew and Scott talk about using phone, iPad or iPods to record shows. Bonnie brings up Android audio recording as well. Andrew talks about a latency issue with Android that makes it less than ideal for recording and simultaneously mixing.
- Andrew tries to demo Boss Jock studio with his new Tascam M1 Mic adapter for iPhone. Very cool but would play into the mixer…
- A quick digression on Blackberry – media murdered them because a falling star is a good story… and now they are giving them great press because the dark horse comeback is also a good story. Samsung is putting Apple and Blackberry on the same level in their ads. Blackberry is dominant in Asia and the developing world and still is strong in the Enterprise market. Andrew is hoping they do well and pull through. Competition is good and RIM’s technology is awesome.
- Marcel arrives at the Bunker Show to great fanfare…
- Bob brings up that what you put up on the internet stays on the internet. Bonnie says that the new Facebook search will make it easier to find all your crazy pictures.
- Scott talks about the two options for podcast hosting and we get on a digression about domain hosting and some unethical behaviour.
- We talk about the different hosted options… Podomatic, Mypodcastworld, Talkshoe, Blog Talk Radio, Audio Boo, Sound Cloud and the self-hosted options like Libsyn and Blubrry. We talk about Amazon S3 as an option as well.
- Andrew asks: PC or MAC for podcasting? Scott likes MAC now because he has fallen in love with Garage Band. Bob uses Audition on a MAC… and Andrew just switched from MAC to Window 8 and uses Audacity.
- Scott has a new Meetup: The IM After Party in downtown Vancouver.
Wix.com is easy to use and kicks butt… make a site using Wix this week!
Check us out on Facebook for comments and fun photos from the shows.
Check out @BunkerLive for tweets and upcoming show topics. If you want to make a comment or suggest a topic let us know.
If you like the show subscribe by clicking a button.
Please rate our show in iTunes – Every five-star rating helps increase the exposure of the show. Also if you like the show please leave a comment or ask a question below, on iTunes or at our Meetup.com page!
About The Bunker Project
The underground Bunker Project is a meetup focused on Social Media, Internet Marketing, New Media, and Podcasting. Set in the Bunker at the Barklay Hotel on Robson St. in Vancouver, The Bunker Project will appeal to those looking for cutting edge social marketing and new media information and to those who just want to socialize over a beer and exchange thoughts and ideas about social media.
Members will have the opportunity to participate in the Bunker Project Podcast which is recorded live at every meetup.
Hope to see you soon at The Bunker!
Andrew McGivern & Bob Garlick