Applebees Social Adventure, Rebelmouse and Reality Controls
The Bunker Project is recorded with a live interactive studio audience. Join us for a show in person in downtown Vancouver or via Google + Hangout. Or watch live on Hangouts On Air.
Thanks to Wix.com for sponsoring The Bunker Project. Wix.com is the #1 platform in the world for creating websites online. The easiest way to create your own cool looking website.
Bunker Project Episode 125:
This week we play some voicemail feedback from Norm, The Shy Maven. He asks Bob to spill the beans about Safeway and the girl guides… this story is a great segue into the Applebees Social Media fiasco. We also talk about Rebelmouse and do a “Gaming with James” segment… without James. We talk with Marco Pasqua about the Reality Controls – a cool new software company helping people with disabilities use gestures and movements to control games and software.
Show 125 – Applebees #FAIL, Rebelmouse, and Reality Controls
- Norm emailed to say that the focused show is better than the Bunker free for all. He also left voicemail feedback asking Bob to reveal his Safeway and Girl Guides story.
- Bob explains that Safeway Canada decided to support large-scale national charities only. They banned all local charities which included the Girl Guides who used to stand outside Safeway to sell their yummy cookies. Bob says the stores are supported by the local community and therefore Safeway should support the community back… great point.
- We play a clip from Bunker Project episode 20 where Bob tells his story about Safeway not giving good customer service and how this type of thing can end up damaging a brand’s reputation on social media. Which is a good segue into…
Applebees Social Media #FAIL
- Margaret explains how a pastor didn’t want to pay the automatic gratuity of 18% and wrote a note saying she only pays 10% to God so why should I pay 18% to you.
- The server posted a picture of the bill on Reddit and ended up getting fired for it after the post went viral. Firing the server pissed everybody off and it resulted in thousands of comments on Applebee’s facebook wall.
- Applebees cut and paste a company policy statement on the wall in response to comments. And eventually deleted negative comments… which just fueled the fire more.
- Sanj couldn’t make the show but he is enjoying the show at home watching the live broadcast.
- We try and find the origin of the term SPAM – stupid pointless annoying messages.
- We forgot the Round Table Intros so we do it now…
Round Table Intros:
Randal Orser @numbercrunchers
Bonnie Sainsbury @bsainsbury
Margaret Reynolds @bc_insurancegal
Ben Able @vancouvergadget
Paul the Rock God @paultherockgod
Adam Stanger @gamerhook
Andrew McGivern @podcasthero
Bob Garlick @bobgarlick
Marco Pasqua @marco_pasqua
Satomi Hirano @satomi_hirano
Ian Nethercott @lovebuyingcars
- Bonnie introduced us to Glos.si a few episodes back and since then they went premium only. We put them through the ringer last week for holding us all hostage and forcing us to upgrade in order to keep our profiles.
- We talk about Rebelmouse as an alternative.
- Andrew explains what he likes about Rebelmouse. The embed feature is really cool and the ability to create a social stream for an event. We set one up here at uncensoredsocialunderground.com. Just click the Social Reactions page to see what it looks like.
- Time Magazine used it for Person Of The Year reactions.
- Andrew and Bob wonder if If This Then That recipes would work with Rebelmouse so you can set it and forget it.
- Rebelmouse will pull from facebook, twitter, Pinterest, RSS and more.
- Adam asks what exactly Rebelmouse does. It is a social aggregator that pulls your stream into a visually appealing and organized page.
- Adam asks about Vine… and we talk about whether we are interested in it or not.
- Andrew tries the app on the show and figures out how to record a six-second video.
- And can use an app to make animated gifs out of Vines…
Gaming with James… without James!
- Adam talks about Skype coming to the XBox
- Bob brings up Google + as an alternative to Skype but better. Andrew mentions Meeting Burner which is a fairly inexpensive step up from Hangouts which gives you more options.
- Marco talks about Reality Controls and the Control Mapper Software. The software allows people with disabilities to use Kinect for Windows and their software to play games and use software. Marco will be doing a TEDx conference talk and will be doing a live demo of the software during the talk. Very cool.
- Andrew says it is like the Text Expander of gestures.
- Reality Controls can be customized for any type of application.
- Bob brings up TED coming to Vancouver. $7500 per seat and you have to write an essay in order to be considered to be in the audience.
- Marcel arrives at much fanfare again… just in time for the end of Gaming with James… without James.
And that is the end of the show…
Call Toll Free 1-877-636-1474 and join the conversation on the show….
Wix.com is easy to use and kicks butt… make a site using Wix this week!
Check us out on Facebook for comments and fun photos from the shows.
Check out @BunkerLive for tweets and upcoming show topics. If you want to make a comment or suggest a topic let us know.
Thanks again to Wix.com for sponsoring The Bunker Project. Wix.com is the most popular website builder in the world.
If you like the show subscribe by clicking a button.
Please rate our show in iTunes – Every five-star rating helps increase the exposure of the show. Also if you like the show please leave a comment or ask a question below, on iTunes or at our Meetup.com page!
About The Bunker Project
The underground Bunker Project is a meetup focused on Social Media, Internet Marketing, New Media, and Podcasting. Set in the Bunker at the Barklay Hotel on Robson St. in Vancouver, The Bunker Project will appeal to those looking for cutting edge social marketing and new media information and to those who just want to socialize over a beer and exchange thoughts and ideas about social media.
Members will have the opportunity to participate in the Bunker Project Podcast which is recorded live at every meetup.
Hope to see you soon at The Bunker!
Andrew McGivern & Bob Garlick
Leave a Reply