UnKlout and iEverything
The Bunker Project is recorded with a live interactive studio audience. Join us for a show in person in downtown Vancouver or via Google + Hangout. Or watch live on Hangouts On Air.
Thanks to Wix.com for sponsoring The Bunker Project. Wix.com is the #1 platform in the world for creating websites online. The easiest way to create your own cool looking website.
Bunker Project Episode 127:
We talk about Social Media influence measurement, the iPhone losing some ground in its trademark strength, the rumored iWatch, the iTV and the iCar.
Round Table Intros:
Randal Orser @numbercrunchers
Bonnie Sainsbury @bsainsbury
Margaret Reynolds @bc_insurancegal
Andrew McGivern @podcasthero
Bob Garlick @bobgarlick
Bob kicks off the show reading the latest issue of Beer Connoisseur Magazine. We chat a little about the American vs Canadian mainstream beers. And craft beers – check out the Craft Beer Nation hangout to learn all about Craft Beers from around the world every Friday night at 7:00 pm.
Round Table Intro Question: Name, Klout Score (or other social measurements) and whether or not you think social scoring systems mean anything.
- Paul doesn’t know anything about Klout so believes he must be a zero…
- Margaret’s Klout score is around 67 but she doesn’t know if it means much but she likes to get free stuff. Margaret is also a 5% er on Linked In. Ian Nethercott is a 1% er.
- Bonnie found a tool that measures social influence. She doesn’t remember what it is called but she also uses Manage Flitter as her main Twitter Management tool. Andrew asks Bonnie why it is important to have a similar ratio of followers to following. Bonnie has a Kout score of 74 or so. She thinks Klout can be gamed. Bonnie is upset that she is only 10%er on Linked In.
- Randall said his Klout score is up and down like a whores drawers. Randall is in the top 1% on Kred and is in the 50′s on Klout. Andrew said his PlusClout sucks.
- Ken doesn’t know what his score is… he will get more into it now that he has a podcast. Andrew looks up Ken’s Klout score and it is higher than Ken thought. Ken said he isn’t sure why his Klout score fluctuates. Andrew said they do it to drive traffic to their site.
- Bob would like Klout more if he could add his other accounts… but it might overload Klout and blow their system away. Bob mentions the importance of having a consistent image online. Bob’s picture of himself with his hands on his head is on every profile and website he uses.
- Andrew has Klout score of 60 but thinks that focusing too much on Klout and other Social Measurement tools may divert your attention to things that increase Klout score but don’t help you in reality.
- Andrew brings up the Podcasting Resources G+ Community and Ken says both Podcasting communities are great.
- Andrew has an idea to suggest to Ray Ortega for the Podcasters Roundtable – Things podcasters do that go against the grain of most podcast consultants…
Apple losing trademark battles over “iPhone”
- Apple sued iFone, a Mexican Telecom company, despite iFone being in business long before Apple started using the trademark.
- Apple lost exclusive use of the trademark “iPhone” in Brazil. Another company that had the name before Apple did. Apple can still use the trademark but is no longer exclusive. This paves the way for the Android iPhone models to sell in Brazil
The Apple iWatch:
- Paul asks why is Apple bringing out a watch just after the watch dies… nobody wears a watch anymore – except high-end jewelry watches.
- Rumor has it that the iWatch will be the primary device and everything else will be peripheral to it.
- Bob says Google Glass is a better idea.
- Will the iWatch have all the body metric and movement tools? Will it measure your blood pressure, heart rate, sweat, movements and more?
- Steve Jobs expressed interest in taking on Detroit with an iCar.
- Randal asks if it is like the Google car.
- What would the iCar look like?
Voice Mail Feedback from “The Norm Maven” – Shout out from Norm saying that after listening to episode 126 he agrees 100% about Netflix. Norms 80-year-old parents also watch Netflix.
Call Toll Free 1-877-636-1474 and join the conversation on the show….
Wix.com is easy to use and kicks butt… make a site using Wix this week!
Check us out on Facebook for comments and fun photos from the shows.
Check out @BunkerLive for tweets and upcoming show topics. If you want to make a comment or suggest a topic let us know.
Thanks again to Wix.com for sponsoring The Bunker Project. Wix.com is the most popular website builder in the world.
Please rate our show in iTunes – Every five-star rating helps increase the exposure of the show. Also if you like the show please leave a comment or ask a question below, on iTunes or at our Meetup.com page!
About The Bunker Project
The underground Bunker Project is a meetup focused on Social Media, Internet Marketing, New Media and Podcasting. Set in the Bunker at the Barklay Hotel on Robson St. in Vancouver, The Bunker Project will appeal to those looking for cutting edge social marketing and new media information and to those who just want to socialize over a beer and exchange thoughts and ideas about social media.
Members will have the opportunity to participate in the Bunker Project Podcast which is recorded live at every meetup.
Hope to see you soon at The Bunker!
Andrew McGivern & Bob Garlick